To understand the importance of keywords to rank by search-engines, think for a moment that the search engine is a shark and you, the fisherman who has to get the shark at any cost. After all shark-fin soup does taste so, so good!
A shark is a big fish and putting entire nets could be an expensive proposition. A better, easier and cost-effective solution would be to use a fishing rod with a good quantity of juicy meat on its hook! Juicier the morsel, more the chances of getting the catch. In the world of digital marketing, juicier the keywords, more the chances that the search engines rank you higher!
With everyone everywhere wanting to make money for themselves, keyword planner tools are aplenty though their efficacy could be severely under doubt. A much better option would be to use common sense (which can sometimes be rather uncommon) and some hard-work before approaching these keyword planner tools.
- Research for existing keywords: Unless your website is ranked on the 50th page, there is every possibility that your visitors are using some of the other combinations of keywords which end-up propping up your website. It would be advisable to refine these and try to build around these existing keywords to take advantage of their existence.
- Research your competitors’ keyword searches: No, we aren’t asking you to go hack their sites and see how they are ahead of you (if they are that is!). We are simply asking you to see the combination of words which brings to fore their websites and try and use them for your SEO management as well.
- Know all the usual phrases which your intended website audience would use to come to your website. For instance, if you are an online gardening equipment seller, people would go online and type out a list of those words which would bring you in their presence. Try and keep your arsenal of keywords very, very vast. In doing so, you always stand the chance of being picked up by the search engines over the competition who does not use those words. The idea is to BE AS ELABORATE AS POSSIBLE WITH RESPECT TO TYPICAL WORDS.
- Know all the usual phrases which are used in your trade and which pertains to your product category. An example could be that of someone dealing with screws and fasteners. Wood screws are radically different from those used in steel and concrete. Try to maintain as much diversity as possible and use the words accordingly.
- Use a judicious mix of short-tail and long tail keywords: Taking from the previous point, a screw can be just that, or it could be a “counter-sunk steel-tipped, carbon-dipped screw to be used in concrete”. Both have their uses and both do not counter each other. So, use both judiciously where needed.
- Use Google’s “AdWords Keyword Planner” to whittle down the list of a keyword you have fished out. Google, the world’s biggest and most prolific of search-engines tells its users the exact efficacy of using fished-our words so that you, its user does not go about using words with very low usage and concentrate your energies with those that have high usage. In the end, it’s about getting the right mix and right results. Google on its part, guarantees just that
So folks here goes the perfect way to search for keywords for a website! Do these and see your ranking going through the sky!